The Android TV box which is also called Android Set-top box is now widely used and is an excellent device for home streaming. But most people do not know how to make the most out of their TV box. You can do more than just watching TV and videos. Here I will list 6 useful tips and tricks for Android Set-top box.
Control Android TV Box with Phone
Maybe you feel like it’s too cumbersome to type the text on the remote to search for something. You will find that it’s more convenient to control your TV set-top box with your smartphone. Then this is a useful tip for you. If you have an Android cell phone or tablet, you can use it as a remote control.
How to connect your smartphone/tablet with your TV?
Firstly, connect your Android phone or tablet to the same network as your Android TV box. Then do the following:
1. Download the Android TV remote control app from the Play Store to your mobile phone.
2. Connect your Android TV box and your smartphone to the same Wi-Fi network.
3. Open the Android TV remote control app you downloaded to your phone.
4. Tap the name of your Android TV, then PIN will appear on your TV screen.
Install Extra Android Apps
On Android, sideload means to install apps that are not available in the Google Play Store. It works similarly to how it works on your Android smartphone. For example, if you cannot download Netflix from Google Play, you can fix this with sideloading. They are available as APK files. Since they are usually in the Security and Restrictions section, the first thing you need to do is to permit to install them from unknown sources. After activation, we were offered the option to download external APKs. This way we can install the additional applications that are available for Android.
Expand Your Storage
The Android TV box supports any form of File Allocation Table(FAT) external storage. You can expand the memory of your Android TV box by using external storage devices. To use this feature, first connect an external storage device such as a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or SD card to your Android TV Box. Then open “Settings” > “Storage and Reset”, select your external device and then “Set as internal storage”. Click “Format” to erase the current contents of your external device, and use its memory as internal storage in your device. Wait until the formatting process is complete. After that, you will see 2 options – “Move Now” and “Move Later”.
You need to move some data in your external device to use its memory. Select “Move Now” if you want to expand your storage right now. Or you can save it for later by selecting “Move Later”. Just be careful not to disconnect your external device.
Remember to check the port of your set-top box before deciding what kind of Android TV storage device to use. This is because not all the Android TV boxes support the required ports. Do not remove the storage and use it on other devices if you have used it to store apps and games. If you removed it, the files or saved games will no longer work.
Make Video Call on Your TV
Imagine the wonderful experience when you are making a 4K HD video call and chatting with your family or friends on such a big screen on a TV. Just install Google Duo on the Android TV box from Google Play Store and connect your webcam to the TV. Then you can make HD video calls.
As Android set-top box also support Picture-in-Picture(PiP) mode in Google Duo. PiP is a great feature that enhances your Duo experience on Android TV. It lets you share your screen with your friends to watch movies, sports games, or anything you want together and also chat with them at the same time. For example, when you make a video call with your family or a friend through Duo, press the Home button and the PiP window will appear as an overlay on the screen. Now you can open any shows and stream with your family or friend.
Mirror Your Phone/PC to Your TV by Using Miracast
Do you know that you can cast content from your cell phone for a computer to your Android TV box? And how you can realize this?
1. First, make sure your Android TV set-top box or TV stick and your mobile device are connected to the same network.
2. Then go to Apps on your Android TV box.
3. Find Miracast and select it.
4. The TV box will display “waiting for connection” with the corresponding name.
5. Scroll down from the top of the screen and click Quick Connect on your Android smartphone.
6. Select the name of your box from the list.
7. Click Connect.
Remember, not all the Android TV box has Miracast. Please choose one that has these various functions, such as Superbox S3 Pro to enjoy comprehensive home entertainment.
Connect Gaming Controller to Play Games
As you know you can play games on an Android TV box. If you own a PS4 or Xbox, you can use your existing controllers and connect them to the Android TV box.
How to pair your controller to the TV box?
- Press and hold the PS and Sharebuttons at the same time to enter the controller’s pairing mode until the light flashes. When you see the light flashing, it means you have entered pairing mode.
- On your Android TV, then go to Settings and select Add Accessories under Remote Control & Accessories.
- On your Android TV, “Search for Accessories” will appear and you will see your device on the screen.
- Select wireless controller to connect. Then you can use the controller on your TV. If you are a game lover, this trick will help you enjoy an excellent gaming experience.
These are some of the tips and tricks for the Android TV box that I have listed for you. If you take them to heart, you will realize how much the Android set-top box can do for you. And of course, there is more we can do with the Android TV box. If you know any other useful tips and tricks for the Android TV box, feel free to share them with us.
Ten Related Article