Most Smart TVs have a list of apps already downloaded and ready to use. However, brands like Samsung and LG allow you to add more through their app stores to further customize your home theater experience. Vizio smart TVs do not allow adding or downloading more apps – all of their available apps are displayed on their home screen.
Samsung TV apps may vary by country or region.
First of all, to successfully download the third-party apps on your Smart Samsung TV, you will need a storage device like a USB flash drive, SD card, or pen drive among others .
Now that you are heading towards downloading the third-party apps, you must first allow installation from unknown sources by enabling the Unknown Sources feature on your Samsung TV . To achieve this, you will need to follow the steps outlined below:
Enabling installation from unknown sources
- Turn on your Samsung TV.
- On the home screen, navigate to the Settings menu .
- Select the Personal tab and find the Security option .
- Now you will be able to see the setting for Unknown Sources . Flip the switch next to it to activate it.
- Once enabled, you will now be free to download apps from sources other than the Play Store.
Enabling developer mode
Second, you will need to enable developer mode on your Samsung Smart TV. Enabling Developer Mode will allow you to have access to all sorts of useful tools and tweaks in your Smart TV. Downloading third-party apps is one of the features you can get with developer mode. Therefore, make sure to follow the steps below to enable it:
- Turn on your Samsung TV.
- Navigate to settings and select the Smart Hub option .
- Select the Apps section
- You will be prompted to enter the PIN code after clicking on the applications panel. With your remote, enter 12345 as the PIN code . This is the default code for all SAMSUNG TVs.
- Now a window with developer mode configuration will appear. Toggle developer mode to ON.
- Next, enter the IP address of the computer you want to connect to the TV and click OK. (You can find your computer’s IP address from Microsoft support)
- You can then restart your TV and be good to go.
Downloading third-party apps using external storage devices
Now, using storage devices like flash drive, you can insert the USB drive and transfer it to your Samsung Smart TV. Therefore, to carry out this process, you will have to follow the steps below:
- Go to your computer or laptop’s web browser.
- From the trusted sources, find the .apk file of the app you want to install on your Samsung Smart TV and then download it.
- Insert the USB drive into your laptop or computer and copy the file into it.
- After copying the file, remove the flash drive from the computer and plug it into the TV.
- Open the flash drive and after finding the .apk file, select it and click Install.
- After the installation process is complete, you can now open and enjoy the app you just installed on your Samsung TV.